Science Practice Lab
Opening the ‘black-box’ of EU-level climate risk assessment for real estate portfolios
We kindly invite you to join our Science Practice Lab on December 6th 2023 between 14.30-17.00 at APG in Amsterdam.
To register, please click here.
A short description of the meeting
Climate change and its associated risks require assessing potential impacts on property assets to avoid depreciation in value. EU regulations may soon mandate reporting on physical climate risks, emphasizing the need for transparency, openness, and standardization in risk assessments. However, many organizations in the sector lack expertise in climate change, which poses a challenge for meeting these requirements. To bridge this gap, numerous commercial providers have emerged, offering various methods to support the sector. Unfortunately, this has resulted in a lack of transparency, hindering trust and limiting the ability to improve, compare and combine the results of different assessments: the issue of ‘black box’ approaches.
We are committed to addressing and improving this issue of black box approaches in EU-level climate risk assessments, by facilitating knowledge exchange between scientists and financial organisations.
The objectives of this Science Practice Lab:
- European financial organizations will share their knowledge and experiences concerning EU-level physical climate risk assessments for real estate.
- Scientists will provide updates on ongoing research and introduce a fully transparent, free, and open approach to assessing EU-level flood risk.
- Collaboratively, we will develop a roadmap to establish an EU-scale level playing field for climate risk assessments, empowering informed decision-making in addressing climate change-induced risks.
14.30 – 15.00 (30 mins) | Walk in & coffee
15.00 – 15.05 (5 mins) | Opening remarks by APG
15.05-15.10 (5 mins) | Goal of today & programme outline
15.10-16.00 (50 mins) | Scientific Insights
Scientists presenting the state-of-the-art
- IVM-VU – Physical climate risk context & drought risk atlas (5 mins)
- IVM-VU – EU-level flood risk assessment (10 mins)
- CICERO – Heat impacts (10 mins)
- International Real Estate Business School, University of Regensburg (10 mins)
- Climate Finance Academy (5 mins)
- Q&A (10 mins)
16.00-16.50 (50 mins) | Practitioner Insights
Financial institutions discussing their experiences and challenges when assessing physical climate risks at a European level
- DNB – ECB Climate change-related indicators (10 mins)
- APG (10 mins)
- AEW (10 mins)
- Observatoire de l’immobilier durable (OID) (10 mins)
- Q&A (10 mins)
16.50-17.00 (10 mins) | Plenary discussion: advancing towards a level playing field for EU-scale climate risk assessments
This event is part of REACHOUT (https://reachout-cities.eu), a European Commission-funded research and innovation project that supports the implementation of the Green Deal.
Any further questions? Send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org.